Thoughts I have had over the last few days:
1. I am never. ever. going on a cruise.
Sorry, family members who have been trying to convince me for the last three years. This latest debacle with Carnival leaves me with even less desire to set foot on a ship.
They had to use bathroom baggies, folks.
Plus, the ship could have sunk.
Yeah, again: No thanks.
2. The peanut butter chocolate concoction stalking me from my fridge right now is dangerous.
It will be divvied up among friends today.
STOP MOCKING ME PB&CHOCOLATE THING!
3. 10 PM is my ideal bedtime.
But I’ve gotten hung up watching that new show “The Americans” on Wednesday nights.
There goes the 10 PM bedtime.
4. I’m trying to decide if I should scrap my coffee habit.
I know, I know, my coffee-loving friends. I wouldn’t quit it completely, I’m just wondering if it’s really a healthy way to start my day.
It’s not you, Coffee. Really. It’s not even me – it’s that darn cream and sugar.
I get a little sad even considering it, honestly.
I think I’m not quite ready.
5. I’m aching for a good novel. Any suggestions?
Something heart wrenching and beautiful. I want to be swept away and moved.
I’d maybe even like to cry a little.
I want to love it so much I have to tell all my friends about it.
6. Jillian Michaels kicks some serious hiney.
I know – maybe she’s a little bit dated at this point, but her work-out DVD’s. . . ouch.
I wish I could station her in the fridge next to the PB and Chocolate Thing.
She would more likely hand me this Green Bean Salad, and, shhhhhh – I probably wouldn’t complain.
7. I’m in love with the vinegar and the Feta in this thing.
They get me every time.
Fresh Green Bean Salad with Tomatoes, Feta, and Herbs
This recipe was inspired by a recipe on the back of a Good Seasons Italian Dressing box. Prepared the way it is suggested on the box - with the pre-packaged seasoning, is also delicious and very convenient. The recipe below is my totally fresh, nothing pre-packaged version.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, rinsed and drained, ends snapped or trimmed
- 1 cup (or more) cherry or grape tomatoes, rinsed, drained, and cut in half
- 1/4 of a large red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh dill
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, reserved
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh, flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh, celery leaves
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh, chopped oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped, fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of water to boiling.
While you are waiting for the water to boil, prepare the dressing.
Combine the oil, vinegar, water. Add in the herbs, garlic, red pepper, and salt and pepper.
Blanch beans for 3-5 minutes depending on desired done-ness ( we like ours a little crunchy still, so I usually do around 3 minutes). Drain, and rinse in very cold water to stop the cooking process. (You can also dunk them into a large bowl of ice and water). Drain again.
Toss beans in large bowl with the dressing, tomatoes, onion, and dill.
Sprinkle with Feta just before serving.
Sara, inspired by Good Seasons.
all recipes copyright Home is Where the Cookies Are; www.wherethecookiesare.com